I was blessed with an amazing grandfather. He was like an awesome mix between Wolfman Jack, the bearded guy from Highway to Heaven, and pure coolness. Sadly, he passed on when I was just a kid, but I know in my heart we’d be best buds if he were still here. Since he’s been gone I have noticed a developed affection for older, super cool, often hairy guys that I wish would adopt me as their granddaughter…Hence, The Grandpa Wish List:
1. John Baldessarri – A hero of mine. I knew I wanted him as my grandpa the moment I saw him singing Sol Lewitt.
2. Paul McCarthy – Another artist obsession. I imagine he’d make the best homemade Halloween costumes for his grandkids.
3. John Waters – Gay Grandpa. He’d make sure I got those Cha Cha Heels for my birthday in addition to providing an endless supply of insults for the lame girls at school.
4. Noam Chomsky – We’d watch late night talk shows together. I have a feeling he’d be a big Conan fan. Don’t ask why.
5. Abe Vigoda – Creepy Grandpa. We would know he was harmless, even if everyone else found him terrifying.
6. Mandy Patinkin – He was Indigo Montoya for crying out loud! And he’s provided us hours of entertainment with his seemingly strained yet learned expressions on Criminal Minds. It’s a good show…kind of.
7. Ed Ruscha – Handsome Grandpa. Hip and handsome. With great hair. And talent. I love him.
8. Richard Serra – We’d go for walks..and throw molten steel at stuff together.